Welcome to St Mary’s, St Agnes’ Holy Trinity & The St Paul’s Centre
together we are The Rectorial Benefice of Aberavon, serving Aberavon, Port Talbot & Sandfields.
We are part of the Diocese of Llandaff in the Church in Wales
A time of change
Disappointingly this building did not stand the test of time and early in the new Millennium it became apparent that the fabric of the building had deteriorated to such an extent that very costly work was required.
A feasibility study was undertaken and it was recommended that as the current site was extensive, that some of the land be sold and the proceeds used to assist in funding the building costs of a new church, it was decided to proceed with this recommendation.
This coincided with a decision to regroup the Parish of Sandfields with the older Parish of Aberavon and Port Talbot St Agnes’ into one unit of mission, which is known today as
The Rectorial Benefice of Aberavon.
The same commitment and zeal that inspired a previous generation to undertake the work of the Church in Sandfields is seen today in the present congregation.
The Rectorial Benefice of Aberavon is a registered charity 1130785 and the Registered Office is The Rectory, Forge Road, Port Talbot, SA13 1US
© Aberavon PCC 2015
The History of Holy Trinity Church
It was in June 1947 that the people of Aberavon saw the beginnings of a new housing estate that was to cover the sand dunes of Aberavon Beach. and the parish of Aberavon knew that a church would be a necessity. The mission to the new estate began in 1953 with church services and a Sunday School being held in a canteen provided by Wimpey Bros and then in a Nissan-
On 2nd July 1959 the foundation stone was laid of a dual purpose church and hall that was dedicated by Archbishop Glyn Simon in May 1960.
© used by permission
The 1969 building now replaced by the new Holy Trinity Church below
A time of rebuilding
The new church building was constructed in 2008, the bell of the original Holy Trinity Church was transferred to the new building and continues to ring calling the faithful of Sandfield’s to worship.
On 28th September that year, with the sun shining, the people welcomed Archbishop Barry Morgan and his wife Hilary to the new Holy Trinity Church for the Dedication Service.
A time of growth
In 1965 the area was created into a parish in its own right. Scouts, Cubs, Guides and Brownies and a dedicated team of young wives all gave the church life and vitality, and a new Vicar of Aberavon, the Reverend Graham Hopkins began a stewardship campaign on the estate which involved over 500 people, and resulted in a brand new building being opened in 1969.
Hope for the future
In his address, the Archbishop spoke about new beginnings, and pointed to the wonderful opportunities this building presented, especially as it was on the main road, and so clearly visible to all. It is a reminder to all of us, in all the churches, that the buildings are there as a sign of God’s concern for the community, and a representation of the care we should have not just for each other, but for all the people within our parish.
|St Mary's History|
|History of St Agnes'|